The Vision Council Releases 2017 UV Report, Preps for National Sunglasses Day
The Vision Council has released its official 2017 consumer media UV report, titled ‘UV’ Gotta Have Shades, in advance of May, which is healthy vision and UV awareness month, as well as National Sunglasses Day, which takes place annually on June 27.
The report highlights key findings from The Vision Council’s most recent VisionWatch survey surrounding American adults’ and children’s UV eye protection habits; unveils the dangers of UV eye exposure; offers answers to commonly asked UV-related questions; and provides information for how to properly protect the eyes from the sun’s UV rays year-round.
The report will serve as a key media pitching tool throughout the remainder of the year to encourage media coverage of The Vision Council’s UV protection and National Sunglasses Day campaign.
With the release of the 2017 UV report, The Vision Council is gearing up for its National Sunglasses Day promotions to make the campaign – which garnered more than half a billion online, broadcast and social media impressions, and won a bronze Bulldog Reporter Media Relations award for best use of social media in 2016 – a huge success, yet again. Public relations efforts for National Sunglasses Day 2017 will include:
- Encouraging consumers and media outlets alike to post a photo to social media featuring sunwear tagging @TheVisionCouncil, and using #SunglassSelfie and #NationalSunglassesDay;
- Distributing a press release via PR Newswire the week prior to June 27, announcing the occasion, providing information about UV eye protection and highlighting how to get involved;
- Pitching key fashion, lifestyle, health and general news outlets, pushing for coverage of the occasion;
- Securing a celebrity-sponsored Instagram post featuring sunwear, as well as key campaign messaging (celebrity TBD);
- Working with select fashion, lifestyle and health bloggers for sponsored and non-sponsored Instagram and/or blog posts promoting the occasion;
- Executing a series of regional TV interviews on June 27 with a renowned celebrity spreading the overall message of UV protection using National Sunglasses Day as the hook (celebrity TBD).
The Vision Council encourages you to capitalize on National Sunglasses Day’s overwhelming consumer and media popularity in the social media space by helping us spread the message. Visit thevisioncouncil.org for details about how to get involved, and how to access official National Sunglasses Day marketing collateral.
Please reach out to Lindsey Ruhe, The Vision Council’s marketing & communications manager, for more information.